Monday, March 9, 2015

MAC Cinderella Collection 6 Pan Eyeshadow Palette - Review and Swatches

Hello Lovelies!

       I hope everyone is doing well today & that you all had a wonderful weekend. I know I did! I spent Saturday evening out on the town celebrating the birthday of one of my all time favorite people, Amber of History & Pearls. I was also extra excited because I was finally out & showing off a look using the new Cinderella "Stroke of Midnight" Palette from MAC!


     Like so many beauty junkies out there, I was elated when I heard the news that MAC had teamed up with Disney to release this collection based on the new live action version of Cinderella. ALSO like so many others, by the time I was able to try and get items from this collection on the MAC website basically everything was sold out. The collection released in stores and at MAC counters (Memphis doesn't have a MAC store so I have to go to Macy's) this past Thursday and was selling out just as fast. Luckily, when I went, although many things were already gone, they did still have this palette which is what I was wanting most anyway. Read on to get some more details on this product and my thoughts about it.


   



  Some general information about the palette:
  • This palette contains six shades. Five of them are re-promotes from the permanent collection. Only one is a new, limited edition color. 
  • The five non-new colors are (*descriptions from the MAC site)
    • Vapour - peach pink w/ violet pearl (velvet)
    • Phloof! - frosted off white (frost)
    • Omega - soft muted beige taupe (matte)
    • Quarry - soft muted plum brown (matte)
    • Satin Taupe - taupe with sliver shimmer (frost) 
  • The new color is the titular Stroke of Midnight - black-plum with sparkle pearl (velvet) 
  • The total weight of product included in the palette is 7.2 grams / .25 oz. Which works out to 1.2g/.041oz per pan.
  • Retail cost: $44 USD

Here's what I think:
   Let's just get this part out of the way. Yes, I know a fair amount of people were sad that this didn't include more exclusive colors. But here's the thing... Many people (like me) don't already have all five of these core shades in their makeup collection. I know I personally have had Satin Taupe, Quarry, and Omega on my wishlist for a VERY long time. So think of it this way: had I bought those three shades individually (in full packaging not just refill pans) it would have cost me $48. Getting this palette gives me SIX shades for LESS than the cost of THREE. And it's not as though you're getting significantly less product like you do in some palettes. Single shadows are 1.5 grams, each pan in the palette has 1.2 grams. So yes, they're smaller, but frankly, with as many eyeshadows as I have, I don't need them to be huge.
     Personally, I think this palette is really awesome. The colors are what you should be able to expect from MAC: finely milled, soft, silky, buttery, beautiful pigmentation, and they blend so nicely that you could blend most of them out to a sheer wash if you really wanted to. Basically, it's kind of a perfect go-to, everyday sort of palette, that can also be used for more dramatic/vampy/sultry looks as well.

Here's some swatches taken with & without flash, and at a couple different angles:
Top to bottom: Stroke of Midnight (SoM), Satin Taupe, Quarry, Omega, Phloof!, Vapour
All of these swatches are without primer.


 If you compare above & below here... you can see SoM's plummy-ness above & the blackness below.



I really like the velvet finishes on Vapour & SoM. To me, it's almost as though they're a matte, just with the faintest hint of glitter or shimmer running throughout. (If that makes sense?) And of course you can never really go wrong with lovely mattes like Quarry & Omega.

I think my only actual complaint would be with the packaging. It's nice, but I wish they had done the same with this as they did with pressed powder from the line and had a completely solid blue case rather than the clear top.

I was really happy to see that Pixiwoo's Sam used this for her Rihanna Tutorial and as soon as I saw it I knew I had to give it a go and I REALLY liked the way it came out & recieved TONS of compliments on the look.

Again, here's photos in a few different types of lighting:


 


Basically it ended up being like a cut crease look that still looked awesome on my semi-hooded lids! Huzzah!

So I'm going to give this palette a 9.5/10, and I'm only taking of that half point because I think they could have made the packaging a little more special. If you don't already have all of those core colors in your collection & you have a MAC store or counter near you that actually still has this palette, I think it's definitely worth buying!


No comments:

Post a Comment